They Teach Black and White Photography at Humboldt State University... With FILM and a DARKROOM and Chemicals... A Truly Unique and Wonderful Experience...

to be in total darkness moving a roll of film from the camera into the specialized HOLDER used to dunk the film into the chemicals... quite a tricky manual dexterity process... and all the time My eyesight was hallucinating like a madman... outrageous flowing geometric patterns... and then there was the fact that more than half of the students were pretty young women... It's really fun to associate with them... Me being 50+ and them being 20+... and so many were "Organic Earth Mothers." My Favorite... 

The REASON we worked in Black and White was that COLOR is simply too complex. First learn B&W then move up to Color. The next semester we DID NOT do Color Film, we moved directly to Digital using Adobe Photoshop on a MAC.  Same Teacher... 


We also learned about shutter speed and blurring motion photography... so one day I walked out onto the Shoulder of Highway 101 and took a Picture of a Logging truck... It looked very ghostly because the trees and Guardrails were in focus and stationary but the truck was translucent. 


~~~~~ (~);-} ~~~~~



In my Art History Class at HSU... I Drew a Picture of the Lady Sitting next to me... It Never Looked Like my Classmate but... It turned out to Look Like Grace Slick... so I emailed it to the Official Jefferson Airplane Website and they Posted it online... and Said Thanks! I was So Honored!

Pencil Drawing of Grace Slick by gvan42
Pencil Drawing of Grace Slick by gvan42

Simplicity Patters: I remember those... Mom made clothes including a Bell Bottom Sleeve Nehru Collared Shirt. I wore a bell necklace with it in 1970... I also had a thin Camouflage Jacket that I stitched a row of sparkling purple sequins up and around both sleeves... like Military Striping... Like Sgt. Pepper Beatles Uniforms... and I owned a giant Fake Fur Coat... Black, like I was a bear... and we bought Huarache Sandals in Ensenada, Mexico when My Family went there on Vacation.


~~~~~ (~);-} ~~~~~


Keep in Mind that... While it is Obvious that Marijuana should be legal... It might not be a great idea to ACTUALLY SMOKE IT. I've smoked weed off and on for 50 years and I've been happier during the NO WEED years... That's MY Experience, Yours May Be Different. Yes, Sex is more fun stoned. Yes, Food Tastes Better, Yes, Rock Music is DESIGNED to be danced to Stoned... BUT... I automatically start smoking at Dawn and stay stoned all day and all night until Sleep... All Day Every Day for Months on End... and then I took a driving Vacation to Nevada and LEFT THE WEED AT HOME... Because I didn't want to be in possession of an ILLEGAL Drug when I was stopped by the police. What I didn't Realize was that I remained Stoned for at Least a Month without smoking... and Experienced events that did not happen... They Call that Hallucinating. That's what I paid For and That's What I Got.


However, during these last two years of NOT Smoking... I recorded Fifty Five (55) Music Videos on Youtube of me Singing and Playing the Guitar... When I was Stoned I recorded Five (5) and those were not that great. I had difficulty with the timing and rhythm... as if my brain was experiencing difficulty looking up what chord to play next... EVEN ON SONGS THAT I WROTE. Yes, it is FUN to play while Stoned BUT... I just don't get much DONE... and too much foot-pedal hold on the piano... until all the notes blend into a swirling whirlpool of sound... Yes, FUN but NO Not A Great Recording. Too Mushy... and I published songs even when I made a mistake instead of making another recording... Ahh, Good Enough... Now I practice the Song and If I play it wrong, I stop the Camera and Try Again... Sometimes Three or Four "Takes"... and SOME songs are just too difficult but with enough work, maybe I get them. "Space Odyssey" by David Bowie is one that I find Difficult... But I'm Practicing...


I remember Redwood Summer... Earth First! Protests in Humboldt County... In the End The Taxpayers of California Bought a Huge Piece of Land and Made the Headwaters Forest Park. Thanks! It's Great! Better than the "Stumps of Mystery" - I was Living in San Jose at that time and Did NOT Participate in the Protests... and I DID NOT "Spike" Redwood Trees In San Jose... at the Corner of Lincoln and Willow... Not Me... It Was That Other Guy... "Lumpy the Biker" - (Not His Real Name) Remember DO NOT CHAINSAW Redwood Trees... Might be Dangerous! SAFETY FIRST!

Trail in the Headwaters Forest near Eureka - gvan42


Read more of my autobiography at:
http://gvan42.blogspot.com/2018/03/growing-up-in-los-gatos-california-in.html

Popular Posts

Top Eleven Posts! Links to My Best at gvan42 Blog

*The Violet Overgrow - An Eco-Warrior's Journey by Gregory Vanderlaan - FICTION
*Trump Confesses to Adultery! "Hey, Moses Was JUST JOKING When He Wrote those Ten Commandments...
*Generate Electricity and Clean Drinking Water AT THE SAME TIME. A Solar Powered Desalinization Plant Would Convert Seawater into Energy, Pure H2O and NaCl.
*Free Coloring Book Art by gvan42 - UFO and Alien Hieroglyphics
*Tree Sitters Protest Lignite Coal Mine in Hambach Forest, Germany
*The Passage of Roe v Wade Led to Fewer Unwanted Babies Being Born... and 20 Years Later, Less Violent Crime... Because Unwanted Babies Grow Up to Become Violent Criminals...
*FREE COLORING BOOK: Print The Drawings and Color Using Felt Pens, Pencils or Potatoshop... American Indian
*HEADLINE: Deadline for "Real ID" for Air Travel Postponed AGAIN Until May 7, 2025... WONDERFUL!
*My Music Video: FREE ALL THE CANNABIS PRISONERS - A Mockery of Nancy Ray Gun... Jest Say KNOW 
*Bubble UP! Economics. Raise the Minimum Wage, Social Security and LOWER Taxes on 99% of Americans. Actually Collect Taxes on the Top 1%... We The People Will Spend that Extra Money in Our Paychecks and it will BUBBLE UP! Throughout The Entire Economy...
*How to Escape the Cult of Trump: Deprogramming by Family Members of the MAGA MORON is Essential... If Someone you Know has been Brainwashed... RESCUE THEM!

49er Rose - gvan42
Free Coloring Book Art by gvan42 - UFO and Alien Hieroglyphics