Meetings with Remarkable Men - in Arcata, CA - Dr Harold Campbell

In 2005, Dr Hal commanded me to take a class called Mergemedia. We put the Humboldt State University's Lumberjack Newspaper on the Internet. Hal said, "This is a classic task... They are like the customers who want to accomplish something using computers, and you know computers. Make it Happen.
http://thelumberjack.org/

Dr Hal is no longer Teaching College for the State of California. He founded his Own College in Oregon.  He worked for the LA Sheriff's Dept before HSU.

I knew absolutely Nothing about journalism but as a requirement for the class, I had to write 8 articles for publication. My Editors were other students and they explained basic concepts like...

0. If I see something happen and write about it, that's an 'Opinion' Piece.
1. If I Talk to three people and ask them what they saw, that's News. (sources).
2. Explain the entire concept of the article in One Sentence (headline)
3. Explain in more detail the concept in One Paragraph so that a reader can decide IF the article is worth reading. (Abstract).
4. Let your editor read the article and re-write it using her suggestions. (once)
5. Let your editor read the article and re-write it using her suggestions. (twice)
6. Let your editor read the article and re-write it using her suggestions. (Oh for Pete's Sake, this article is Not going to be published. Go get me a Story!)

Dr Hal was my Faculty Advisor at Humboldt State University in 2001. When we first met, he asked: "Why are you here?" I replied that I wanted to learn how to accept credit cards over the Internet and Sell Stuff. He said 'OK'... but... His trick was to force me to teach myself. He would give hints, tell me to do research, review what I had learned and assigned a Senior Project to build a Webstore with 5 other classmates... Eventually I built my own Webstore in the Real World and Am keeping the Profits.

What he did not know was how to build a Wildly Profitable Webstore. If he knew that, he wouldn't be teaching college...

LinkdIn Says:
He founded his own college... and got a black robe!

Hal Campbell: Executive Director - JusticeAcademy.org
Redmond, Oregon
Current: The Justice Academy
Previous: Richland County Law and Justice Center,  University of Maryland,  California State University
Education: Claremont Graduate University

http://www.justiceacademy.org/





)

Popular Posts